Ever wondered how food tastes without Fat? It’s like cardboard i.e. tasteless. One can experience this, by eating chicken breast which is very low in fat.
Naturally, food never comes in either fat or carb or protein. In nature, food always comes in a combination of protein +fat+ carbohydrates. Fat is a taste enhancer in most of the foods, just like salt and sugar.
Broadly speaking animal products are high in fat whereas plant-based products are high in carbohydrates.
What Is Fat Fasting?
It is very similar to the ketogenic diet, “in which person eat food high in fat and low in carbs”. Fat Fasting should not be confused with “intermittent fasting” which does not allow any kind of eating.
Dr. Robert Atkins, the author of the book Dr. Atkins cc, first stated this concept to break weight loss plateau and reset body hormone imbalances.
Fat fasting can typically last for 2-5 days which depends on your target weight loss and lifestyle choices.
On a particular day, a person can have only 1000 to 1200 calories per day with most of it coming from Fats. You can divide those calories into multiple small meals or can have a single meal.
It is different from intermittent fasting. But like fasting, it pushes the body in a ketogenic state where the body generates ketones for energy in the absence of glucose. so technically you get similar benefits like fasting.
In the long term, intermittent fasting will be more effective in weight loss compared to Fat fasting. On the other hand, fast fasting is much easier to follow on.
How fat fasting work?
As most of you already know insulin is the hormone responsible for weight gain and loss. Carbohydrates aka Sugars are responsible for insulin response. If you can stop this insulin response you already losing weight.
Insulin controls excess blood sugar and stores extra blood sugar in body cells by converting it into body fat. When insulin present in the blood, it prevents the body from utilizing this stored fat for energy purpose. But in the case of dietary fat, no insulin is produced inside the body. Excess fat stored in the liver for future use or flushed out of the body.
In “fat fasting” we try to achieve the same thing, we only eat food high in fat with low or no carbs in it for 2-3 days to achieve expected weight loss.
When to do fat fasting?
As discussed previously fat fasting typically recommended
- Your weight plateaued, and you want to lose more weight.
- You want to get into ketosis without doing intermittent fasting.
In other cases, it’s best to go with intermittent fasting.
Benefits of fat fasting?
Fat fasting puts the body in a “ketogenic state”, hence all benefits associated with ketosis can be achieved.
- Fat keeps you full for a long time, hence suppress hunger
- Aachieve significant weight loss
- Constant energy levels
- Deep concentration
- Reduced blood sugar and insulin levels
You can read more about benefits here.
Side effects of fat fasting?
- Newcomers may feel headache, nausea, lack of energy, constipation or diarrhea, shakiness, etc.
- People who enter in ketogenic sage may experience keto flue.
- Above side effects may go with some experience to ketosis.
- As it puts lots of restrictions on what to eat, nutrient deficiencies may occur in the longer term.
Who should not do It?
- If you have any health condition or taking any medication or not feeling well during fat fasting you should consult your doctor immediately.
- Not recommended to pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Kids,elderly people,malnourished adults should avoid fat fasting.
What to eat during fat fasting?
The general rule is to eat high-fat low carb food.
- If you can repeat the same meal for most of the time during fat fast it will free you from the headache of meal prep.
- Keep calories consumed under 1000-1200 per day out of which 80-90% calories must come from fats.
- Have one single meal or divide calories in 3-4 meals per day.
- Fatty fish like mackerel, herring, salmon, and sardines
- Whole eggs, egg yolks.
- Coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, butter
- Dairy products like cheese, ghee, butter, cream
- High-fat fruits and like avocado, olives
- Low carb vegetables like zucchini, kale, and spinach
- Drink water, tea, coffee without sugar as much you like.
- You can add herbs and spices in small quantity.
- Should not consume too much fish or meat because they may add a lot of protein in your calorie intake.
- Avoid drinking sugary beverages like soda or sparkling water.
- Avoid starchy or high carb foods.
Sample meal plan
Morning: black coffee with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil/ghee/butter
Breakfast: 4 Egg omelet with vegetable of your choice + 4 Strips of bacon fried in butter
Lunch: roasted or fried sardine/salmon with spinach
Dinner: Green salad with avocado, olives
- Avoid overeating,
- Repeat the same meals if possible.
- Have a small dinner.
- Avoid having all calories in a single large meal.
- Fat fasting is another way of getting the body in ketosis and achieve weight loss when it plateaus.
- It is less demanding than intermittent fasting, but both are significantly different.
- Can be done for 2-5 days depending on your own will.
- Average weight loss will be around 2 lbs. per day.