Drinking coffee especially during intermittent fasting can be a lot beneficial, but how to drink coffee without breaking fast and still get all the benefits from intermittent fasting?
Do you consume coffee first thing in the morning? Coffee is one of the most popular and widely consumed beverages worldwide due to its stimulating effects on the central nervous system as well as its taste and aroma.
Drinking coffee has numerous health benefits as it is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients. Coffee is a complex mixture of more than 800 volatile compounds whereas caffeine and chlorogenic acids are the most common compounds.
- Makes you feel energetic and alert [Ref. 1,2]
- Increase metabolic rate hence increased fat burning. [ref. 3,4]
- Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. [Ref. 5,6]
- Beneficial for liver. [Ref. 7,8]
- Improves cardiovascular health and physical performance. [Ref. 9,10,11]
- Powerhouse of antioxidants. [Ref. 12]
- Reduces stress and depression [Ref. 13]
Black coffee won’t break your fast
Fasting means not eating or drinking calories for a predefined time interval. The question remains for most of the people is should we drink low-calorie drinks like coffee or tea during the fasting period?
- First what you call coffee is an important thing, any type of coffee high in calories should not be consumed during the fasting period. Only black coffee without sugar or cream is allowed also adding butter or any fat which may increase calories consumed should be avoided.
- We all do intermittent fasting to get certain benefits to our bodies. If we drink too many calories these benefits may not be possible. If you want to know about intermittent fasting and its benefits read here and here. So to get expected health benefits you only allowed to have black coffee.
- If you’re aiming for weight loss only, it will be okay to drink coffee with sugar or cream but it may keep off your body from getting other benefits like ketosis and autophagy.
- Black coffee gives other beneficial effects like reduced appetite, Alert brain so in other terms coffee helps you to fast longer duration.
A plain cup of brewed coffee has less than 5 calories, hence black coffee doesn’t break fast also it doesn’t stop “ketosis ” and “autophagy” inside the body.
Should you drink coffee on an empty stomach?
There is bit confusion on this point, it depends on your personal experience.
- The body contains acid for food digestion, when you drink coffee on empty stomach acid levels in the stomach may rise. Caffeine causes gastrointestinal discomfort by increasing the production of stomach acid.
- High stomach acid can be damaging to the lining of the stomach if consumed regularly. This can lead to indigestion, Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), heartburn and stomach ulcers.
- High doses of caffeine consumption regularly may also lead to poor sleep, insomnia, and anxiety, resulting in a lack of energy and fatigue, as well as lower brainpower. It can also interfere with calcium and iron absorption.
- Coffee also stimulates the adrenal glands, which can create stress hormones called cortisol and adrenaline. This can raise heart rate and blood pressure too. Over time, your adrenal glands start to burn out which can lead to adrenal fatigue.
Drink coffee in moderation to avoid negative side effects.
How much coffee one should you consume?
Should you drink coffee with a zero-calorie sweetener like stevia during intermittent fasting?
Zero-calorie sweetener simulates brain to release insulin just like normal sugar does. So all the benefits associated with insulin sensitivity lost.
Should you drink coffee with milk or heavy cream during intermittent fasting?
Should you drink bulletproof coffee during intermittent fasting?
Fasting means no calories, you should not consume any fats with coffee. It will break your fast. Technically fat don’t have insulin response in the body so it doesn’t take the body out of ketosis. But it may stop the autophagy process which in which body eats its dead cells to clean up and repair body organs.
Should you drink coffee with coconut oil during intermittent fasting?
Coconut oil is kind of fat and has a significant amount of calories. Consuming coconut oil by adding it in coffee may give you weight loss, but it may not necessarily give other benefits like autophagy.
Should you drink coffee with almond milk/soy milk / any nut milk during intermittent fasting?
You should not drink any calories, all these nut kinds of milk contain a significant amount of calories which will reduce benefits to your body by intermittent fasting.
Coffee with Cinnamon/Cocoa/Nutmeg?
A small amount of Cinnamon/Cocoa/Nutmeg is fine, probably half teaspoon. Keep calories to a minimum.
Coffee with Collagen?
Coffee with Collagen will break your fast. A collagen is a form of protein. For weight loss collagen is ok, but it will stop the autophagy process.
- Intermittent fasting provides various benefits like Weight loss, Insulin sensitivity, Ketosis, Autophagy, lower Inflammation. To realize these benefits one need to stop consuming all calories.
- A cup of black coffee in the morning without sugar or anything added will be great Kickstarter for the day, keeps you alert for rest of day and suppress your hunger pangs.
- It’s ok to have a cup of black coffee, it will not break your fast.
- Small amount of black coffee on empty stomach wont harm you.